The History of McCants
The Townhomes of McCants occupy the historic Fannie McCants Elementary School built in 1931 and was named for Columbia High School's first full-time librarian and pioneer in Columbia's education system.
Five oak trees line Lyles Street, including one that won the "Treasured Tree Award" from the Columbia Tree and Appearance Commission awarded on Arbor Day. The building was designed by architect Jay B. Urquhart, who built other Columbia landmarks including the Logan and Wardlaw schools, Benedict College, and Eau Clair Town Hall.
The Fannie McCants School playground is now home to the Laurel Hill Subdivision as the area continues to be revitalized.
Every effort has been made to preserve not only the culture of the school, but the appearance.
- The high ceilings have remained
- The original brick walls have been cleaned and made part of each unit, as have the hardwood floors.
- Transoms and doors have been preserved
- The building has been recognized by the Columbia Historical Commission.
The Townhomes of McCants provide a foothold in the past and a vision for the future.
The school's entrances have been preserved creating foyers common to a few units at each point of entry. While many updates for energy efficiency, fire safety and security now accent the property, its history remains.